Thursday, June 30, 2011

Looking Back



   Looking back through my process shots of the Assassins set I found a few pictures of the set when it was nothing but a deck and some framing. It’s hard to believe how far the set has come since then. Through the talents of my two partners in crime Molly and Rebekah and our fearless leaders Terry and Krista, the stage has transformed from an empty box to a dramatic fairground where assassins might be heroes
  
   A theatrical production only exists in its entirety for a couple hours during a performance, though. When all of the actors take to the stage and the orchestra plays the music and the instruments light the set, a production becomes something more than the sum of its parts. The set that starts as a few pieces of a lumber in a black box takes on life. 
   So on opening night a familiar rush returned to me when the show’s first chords wafted up to my position on the flyrail. By the end of the show I could feel the adrenaline in me as the audience applauded and I knew I had been a part of something special. I can’t express how grateful I am for the opportunity to work with such talented people and create such great theatre.

-- Benjamin Burke, Scenic Intern

No comments: