Friday, June 17, 2011

I respectfully disagree with The Washington Post

Last year Endstation Theatre Company had an excellent write up in the Washington Post which included a statement that has been featured in much of our marketing material. "At Endstation Theatre, the location's the thing".

I humbly and respectfully disagree.

I agree that the location is incredible. It really is. From Hamlet, Romeo and Juliet, and Midsummer Night's Dream the locations our artistic director, Geoff Kershner and his team have picked and transformed has been incredible. Even our first musical "Assassins" transforms our audience into a new loacation within the confines of Babcock Auditorium. But, it really is more than just "the location". It's the experience.

I consider myself blessed to be a member of the board of directors (and past President) of this fine company. Our board of directors work year round to raise awareness and resources to produce our annual theatre festivals and the board is comprised of an excellent cross section of local professionals and "theatre folk" and it's a fantastic group of people to work with behind the scenes. The experience I have had on the board and the pride to see the season unfold is amazing.

This year I am fortunate enough to be a member of the cast of Assassins in the role of President James Garfield (and folks, its not all peaches and cream being a President in a show about Presidential assassinations. But the EXPERIENCE I have had on this side of the stage has been incredible. From our director, and stage manager, to one of the best musical theatre casts that I have had the pleasure to work with (and one of the best ensembles I think Central Virginia has ever seen), musical director, technical director, lighting and sound designers, the team that will be unveiling Soundheim's killer musical is amazing. And the experience that our audience will be part of, is second to none.

To piggyback on the theatrical experience, we are expanding on the wine and food offerings this year both for our musical and for Twelfth Night. Featuring different vineyards and wines, along with sit down and box dinner options, each performance will offer new experiences.

So, that's my two cents. I humbly disagree with the Post. I strongly and wholeheartedly believe that although the location is superb, the EXPERIENCE is the thing. Come see for yourself.

No comments: