Sunday, June 20, 2010

Hello from Florida!


Hello from Jacksonville, Florida!

I am here for two days running auditions for a production of Romeo and Juliet that I am directing at Theatre Jax in August. It is always a weird thing to switch gears for a new show while still in process for another. This is my third show for Theatre Jax though and I love to work here.

My production of A Midsummer Night's Dream for Theatre Jax in 2007

Hamlet is moving along and I can't wait to get back to it this week. On June 10th we did a stumble through of the entire show. We were over a month from opening and I was very pleased by what I saw. The show is really going to play out at the barn. We have been working very hard to have the show operate in real time. We needed to do this so that all of the play's action could happen in one location. It has been a trick but a lot of fun. It means the production has a whip fast pace and the stakes are very high for the actors. We also have to figure out the logistics of actors moving across large distances for entrances and exits (up the hill, down the road, ect.). We love it though! (breaking a sweat at times... keepin' em in shape ;) )

Catherine Took (pregnant suit) and Aaron Farr as Guildenstern and Rosencrantz

Actor exploration has been a lot of fun this past week. We have been experimenting a lot with action and circumstances. We are keeping the show fresh and new for ourselves, breaking some conventions and diving into the text in new ways. I won't tell you too much, but when you come see the show I know that some scenes will be opened up in ways for you.

This picture sums up the Walter/Geoff relationship


Stay tuned for more. I am going to try to capture some video this week so that you can start to "see" this bad boy in action.

More soon!

Geoffrey Kershner
Artistic Director


No comments: