Friday, July 3, 2009

Midsummer Tech! Woo hoo!




Well, we have reached the tech for Midsummer and I must say that it has been an exciting experience to watch it unfold. I am in love with Ryan's use of the space and truly believe it fully fulfills the spirit of Endstation and our mission of embracing the live form. It maximizes the potential of the space and creates a thrilling evening of live theatre. The video above is a small sample of the space. You can see in the second half of the video that Demetrius and Helena (Michael and Liz) enter from the walk way off in the distance. This is a constant visual element of the show, in that characters are seen way off in the distance and emerge into the playing area from all directions. If you look very closely in the video you can see Hermia and Lysander (Kirin and John) way off by Sweet Briar house on the road with suitcases.



This has also been a period for the final touches on costumes. Here is Ryan discussing costume elements with costume designer Sally Southall. I love the Mechanicals aesthetic. There is a wonderful blending of new and old with this show and I know audiences will love it.




Don't get me wrong, I love directing, but I also love watching the work of the company outside of my direct artistic hand. It is so much fun to watch a show move through the artistic process from the outside. I am thrilled with the work of the cast, the designers, and Ryan. Bravo you all. I am excited to share this with an audience.


Geoffrey Kershner
Artistic Director

No comments: