Thursday, May 26, 2011

"Assassins" and Excitement

The last month has been unlike anything I've ever experienced before. Not only had I never been to Virginia, but I had never really been to the eastern US. In the last few weeks I've been to eight new states, Washington DC, walked in the Atlantic ocean, and seen the Blue Ridge Mountains for the first time. I'm learning how to survive the pollen and humidity here. All of these new experiences culminated with my arrival at Sweet Briar College last week. Since then, I've met some really amazing people. I can't help but appreciate the environment of family that this place breeds.

No doubt Endstation has a great group of actors this summer. The talent I've seen in the short time I've been here has been impressive. But what I find fascinating are the personalities I see behind the characters they portray. As a stage manager, I get moments between note-taking and email-writing to sit in the background and observe those around me. It is a very unique perspective. The discussions that happen during rehearsal are always fascinating to me. Assassins is especially interesting. These historical figures had big personalities of their own and I get to watch them come to life every day.

Rehearsals for Assassins have only just begun. We had our first read thru of the script on Tuesday. It was great to hear the characters start to come to life. Last night we began blocking the show. Everyone has been such a pleasure to work with. This is certainly going to be a powerful show.

I enjoy the job I came to do, don't get me wrong, but my favorite times so far have been spending time with my fellow company members. Movie nights in Carson, karaoke nights in town, and conversations during breaks at work have been great. I've only been here for a week and a half, but I almost feel like I've been here for months. My fellow interns are wonderful. As soon as someone new moves in we swoop in (hopefully not too enthusiastically) and have them join the fun. After Sunday night's Broadway in the Blue Ridge, a group of us got caught in a rainstorm and had to walk to shelter on a road that might as well have been a river. Last night we celebrated John's (Lighting/Sound Intern) birthday at Pizza, Wings, and Things. Most of the company who lives on Sweet Briar's campus, as well as some people who live nearby, came by for food, karaoke, and dancing. What a way to bond! I look forward to continuing to build these relationships as the summer goes on. I'm proud to be a part of the great work going on here!

Kara Gowler
Stage Management Intern


No comments: